Over the last 27 years, Matt has worked in a variety of industries and locations around the world in the disciplines of mechanical and marine engineering, technical and personnel management and development as well as risk management, safety consultancy and training.
In a 12-year career with the British Royal Navy, Matt rose through the ranks as a marine engineer serving on a wide variety of classes of ship culminating in managing a 100 plus personnel strong multi-discipline engineering team at the Faslane Submarine Base in Scotland. Between 1991 and 2003, Matt served as a both a marine engineer and executive officer on ships as diverse as 4,500 ton offshore patrol ships based in the South Atlantic, 9,000 ton frigates and destroyers patrolling the Arabian Gulf through to 20,000 ton aircraft carriers.
These roles involved both in-depth engineering maintenance management as well as personnel management, career development and training both in technical disciplines and also management and leadership.
Choosing to change direction in 2003 to try new challenges, Matt began engineering and risk-based consultancy in the North Sea oil and gas environment. During this initial 3-year period, Matt worked with Oil and Gas production operators on new build projects around the work, drilling and exploration companies on again new-build, commissioning and aging legacy installation technical challenges.
During this period, Matt also worked in conjunction with large insurance underwriters in the City of London with respect to informing on risk management and loss assessment on major offshore installations worldwide.
Moving to Perth, Western Australia in 2004, Matt continued this work and since moving to Perth has now not only contracted to a large number of oil and gas production operators and exploration contract companies in marine and mechanical engineering, safety and risk management, has also consulted and provided training to major mining and resource companies in the iron ore and bauxite/alumina sectors.
In addition to contractual consulting work, Matt has also worked on the staff of two major Perth based oil and gas production companies as well as a worldwide EPCM company and is proud to have provided services and input to the recent most high-profile resource projects ongoing in Australia at the moment.
Since starting 3MDC in 2010, Matt has worked with the following clients:
- Department of Defence MCP SPO (Navy)
- Curtin University
- Woodside Energy Ltd (Onshore and Offshore)
- Santos Ltd (previously Quadrant Energy)
- Jadestone Energy
- Conoco Phillips Australia (BayuUndan Development) Perth and Darwin
- Wood Group PSN
- Worley Parsons
- Total E&P Australia
- SKM/Jacobs Learning and Development (Chevron Gorgon & BHPIO Major Projects)
- GHD Project Engineering for Horizon Power (Port Hedland)
- Heerema Offshore Contractors (North Rankin B platform Installation)
- RPS Consultants (Offshore Drilling Safety Case development)
- DOF Subsea / ROC Oil Bass Strait Operations
- Supura Clough/Robert Elks & Associates
- Songa Drilling Australia
- Matrix Engineering and Composites
- Department of Fire & Emergency Services (DFES)
- City of Subiaco Shire Council
- Perth North Metro Health Department
- Perth East Metro Health Department
- PathWest Pathology Services
- Crouch & Associates Property Management (Building Safety Assessment)
- Our Lady of Grace Primary School (Independent Site Risk Review)
- Industrial Rubber (IRS)